Select Installation location.
- Select-Sign Monuments are designed to rest on the ground.
- Select a level location so the entire footprint of the sign will rest on the ground.
- Determine maximum allowable length of pole to be used by adding the length of the receiver hole in the Select-Sign REFER TO MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE LENGTH ON CUSTOMERS SIGNED DRAWING) to the required length to be embedded in concrete (as determined by local codes and conditions and your engineer). POLES MUST NOT EXCEED THIS LENGTH.
- Cut pole to length if necessary.
- With Select-Sign resting on its side, apply Foam to Foam adhesive into the holes on the bottom of the sign. Insert poles. Rotate poles while inserting. 100% coverage is not required. (DO NOT USE UNDER 40° F & FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON CAN.)
- Size post holes based on local code and conditions and per your engineer’s instruction.
- Double check that the postholes are deep enough to accept the full length of poles extending from the bottom of the sign.
- “Flare out” the tops of the holes as necessary to allow for concrete to be poured after the sign is positioned.
Position your Select-Sign with poles extending into the holes in the ground.
- The bottom of Select-Sign is to rest on the ground. If the sign is “floating” above the ground, dig your holes deeper. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE DOWNWARD FORCE TO POSITION SIGN ON GROUND AS THIS MAY DAMAGE THE SIGN.
- Check for position, alignment, plumb and level. Adjust as necessary. Brace as necessary.
Fill post holes with concrete.
- Concrete specification to be based on local code and conditions and per you engineer’s instructions. (Always allow 2″-3″ of exposed pipe between the top of the cement and bottom of the sign. This will allow access for cutting the poles off, if the sign would ever need to be removed.)
- Protect sign from concrete splatter during pouring of the concrete.
- Remove any temporary braces and complete landscaping.
- If signs are ground level and not elevated they must be protected with landscaping to prevent damage caused by lawn mowers, weedeaters, snow blowers, etc.
- FAILURE TO FOLLOW MSM EXPLICIT INSTRUCTIONS WILL VOID WARRANTY.
The two biggest mistakes that installers make are:
Attempting to use POSTS THAT ARE TOO LONG.
- Forcing the Select-Sign onto posts that are too long will damage the sign and VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
- Refer to your shop drawing for maximum post length. The posts should never come in contact with the sign header/cap.
- Always allow ample space between the top of the post and the bottom of header/cap.
- Always allow 2″-3″ of exposed pipe between the top of the cement and bottom of the sign. This will allow access for cutting the poles off, if the sign would ever need to be removed.
Attempting to “hang” the Select-Sign on the posts.
- Unless specifically engineered and ordered otherwise, Select-Signs are MONUMENTS and are designed to be installed sitting on the ground.
- Hanging your Select-Sign will VOID YOUR WARRANTY.